The BEST Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe Ever!
A couple of weeks ago I had a massive craving for a pesto pasta and ended up creating this amazingly tasty and satisfying Healthy Girl version.
CONFESSION: My hubby and I have had this dish for dinner once every week since I created the recipe… We just can’t get enough!
Now I know there are some of you reading this who might be thinking; “I don’t eat carbs”, “I can’t eat gluten”, “I am vegan/vegetarian”, “I don’t eat dairy” etc, BUT the beauty about this recipe (or any recipe for that matter) is that you can use it as a blueprint to make it your own. Feel free to use gluten free pasta substitutes, quinoa or carb free options such as zoodles. Play around and add different veggies or spices to suit your preferences. One thing that I know for sure when it comes to health, one size does NOT fit all. Play around and listen to what makes your body feel it’s happiest and healthiest!
- 1 ½ cup pasta of choice (gluten free, wholewheat or zoodles OR any other option that floats your beautiful boat!)
- 400g skinless chicken breast, sliced
- ½ cup basil pesto, I like this basil pesto recipe from Deliciously Ella
- 1/3 – ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 block feta, cubed
- 2 generous handfuls Rosa tomatoes, sliced
- 1 generous handful of pine nuts, toasted
For the chicken seasoning:
- The juice of a lemon
- Your favourite chicken spices
- A dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Grill chicken in a frying pan with a squeeze of lemon, your chicken spices of choice plus some salt and pepper. Once cooked set the chicken aside to rest. Keep the frying pan aside too.
- Bring a big pot of water to boil on the stove, add a dash of salt and then add your pasta of choice. NOTE: If you are using zoodles you can either choose to keep them raw or quickly blanch them before serving.
- Toast your pine nuts in a pan on the stove at medium heat – watch them carefully, they can burn quickly!
- Drain your pasta.
- Put the chicken back into the frying pan (that you used previously) and onto the stove again at a low-medium heat. Add the pesto, coconut milk, feta and tomato. Mix until well combined and heated.
- Place the drained pasta back into the big pot (that you used previously) and then pour the pesto chicken mixture over.
- Add the toasted pine nuts and then mix until everything is well combined.
I would love to know what you think of this recipe and if you tried it out in the comments below!