Spicy Carrot, Ginger and Lentil Soup
One of the things that I love the most about winter is getting to cook heart warming soups! Not only are soups SUPER easy to make but they are also OH SO very comforting, delicious and not to mention nutritious all at the same time! Several of you have been asking me for the recipes of the soups that I have been making (and sharing on my Instagram stories) lately and I thought I would start off with this AMAZING Spicy Carrot, Ginger and Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk!
Spicy Carrot, Ginger and Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes (or half for milder version)
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp tamarind paste (if available)
- 1 large glove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups good quality stock
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 10 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- To Serve – 1 Tbsp flaked almonds and/or small handful lightly toasted coconut shavings, small handful of coriander (roughly chopped) & lime wedges
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over a medium heat, until the butter starts to foam. Add the spices, ginger, tamarind (if using) and garlic. Cook for about 1 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the stock and bring to a gentle bubble. Add the lentils and carrots and leave to cook for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and can be easily pierced with a knife.
- Add the coconut milk (reserve a tablespoon or two for serving), stir through, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before blending until smooth.
- Divide the soup between warmed bowls, garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, and then scatter over a few nuts and/or coconut shavings, a little roughly chopped coriander before serving immediately. Squeeze over some lime juice to taste
About Sarah Graham & Wholesome:
- WHOLESOME by Sarah Graham is filled with 100 nourishing sugar, gluten and carb-conscious recipes for eating well.
- SG Website: http://sarahgraham.co.za
- SG Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sarahgrahamfood/
I would love to know what you think of this recipe and if you try it out in the comments below!