Raw Brownie Balls
Calling all BROWNIE Lovers!
So True? So False? “Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree. That makes it a plant. Therefore, chocolate counts as salad!” Well… this is kind of true and kind of false.
Did you know that there is a difference between cocoa and cacao? Cacao beans are found on the inside of the Cacao (fruit) Tree. The cacao beans are removed from the tree and then harvested, fermented and dried. Raw cacao is then made by the cold pressing of raw cacao beans.
So when you see cacao powder in the shops this is “chocolate” in it’s most raw form – unprocessed and additive free! Cacao is filled with antioxidants and is packed in minerals, fibre and essential fatty acid. This is the kind of chocolate that you want to be nourishing your body with. Now cocoa is what cacao becomes once the cacao beans have been roasted and processed. Because of this, cocoa loses most of its wonderful nutritional value and often has added preservatives and sweeteners in them to make it taste better.
The GOOD news is that you can make your brownies and eat them too with my new Healthy Girl Raw Brownie Bite recipe! All the ingredients are raw (in their most natural statue) which means that not only will your sweet tooth be satisfied but your body will be nourished with beautiful wholesome foods!
Makes: 10 Raw Brownie Bites
- 1 cup of dates (pre-soaked)
- 1/2 cup of almond flour/flour of your choice
- 1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- water (for soaking dates)
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla powder
- A touch of salt to taste (optional)
- Extra raw cacao powder for rolling
- Soak your dates in water for 1 hour and then drain.
- Chop your walnuts.
- Place dates, almond flour, raw cacao powder, vanilla powder and salt into a food processor and blend until all ingredients are well combined and “dough-like”. If your dough isn’t sticky enough you can add a small amount of water (just one tablespoon at a time if necessary).
- Take the dough out of the food processor, put it into a mixing bowl and fold in your chopped walnuts.
- Now roll he dough into 10 balls and coat each ball with raw cacao powder.
- Place your Raw Brownie Bites in an airtight container and then put into the fridge for at least one hour to set.
I would love to know what you think of this recipe and if you try it out in the comments below!