Lentil and Mushroom “Meat"balls with Spaghetti
Is it just me, or does the Disney classic, Lady & The Tramp, ALWAYS pop into your mind when you think of meatballs?!
The month of love has inspired me to do a meatless twist on a classic spaghetti and meatball dish. Not only does this plant-based version taste every bit as good as it’s meat counterpart but it is also really easy to make and super healthy. Enjoy with pasta or gluten-free pasta of your choice, as burger patties, in a wrap, thrown in a salad or by themselves as a snack.
Lentil and Mushroom “Meat”balls with Spaghetti
1 tin of Cooked Lentils
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil
1 Tbsp. Fresh Parsley
½ tsp. Red pepper flakes
½ tsp. Paprika
⅓ Cup of Ground Oats or Oat flour
1 Medium Onion, chopped finely
1 ½ Cups of Chopped Portobello Mushrooms
Zest of 1 medium lemon
2 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese
Simple Tomato sauce:
1 Medium onion, chopped finely
Handful of Fresh Basil
1 Tsp. Red pepper flakes
Tin of whole cherry tomatoes in tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Base and Toppings:
Gluten free spaghetti or gluten free pasta of your choice (Found at Dis-chem and most Health stores)
Torn Fresh Basil
Sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°
- In a medium sized saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté your onions and mushrooms with a generous heaped teaspoon of crushed garlic until soft and almost browning.
- Place your garlic, onion and mushroom mixture and all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. (Drain the liquid from the tin of lentils before adding) The mixture should resemble a mince consistency and stick together when squeezed in your hand.
- Spoon about ¼ cup size/smaller of mixture into your hand and roll into balls.
- In a medium frying pan heat up a sprinkle of olive oil and fry your lentil balls for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place your lentil balls on to an oven tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Simple Tomato sauce with a kick:
- In a medium saucepan heat up a sprinkle of olive oil and sauté your onions with two teaspoons of crushed garlic until soft and browning.
- Tear a handful of fresh basil and sprinkle a teaspoon of red pepper flakes over the onions and mix.
- Pour in your tinned tomatoes and mix together with the onions, squashing the whole tomatoes with the back of your spoon as you go.
- Toss in your balsamic vinegar, bring the sauce to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until ready to eat.
Putting it all together:
- Toss your baked lentil balls into the sauce and mix into the sauce.
- Cook your gluten free pasta in a pot of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions.
- Cover your pasta with the lentil balls and delicious tomato sauce, sprinkle some parmesan cheese and decorate with basil leaves.
- Bon Appetit! Enjoy!
I would love to know what you think of this recipe and if you tried it out in the comments below. It makes me so happy seeing your Healthy Girl inspired recipes – don’t forget to tag me in your creations @healthygirl_with_a_sweettooth!
With love from me to you,