FITBIT CHARGE 2 REVIEW
Over the last few weeks I have personally been reviewing the Fitbit Charge 2 heart rate and fitness wristband. I am super excited to share my experience with you all!
For a long time I have REALLY wanted to get myself a heart rate monitor! The most obvious reason being that I’m interested in monitoring what my heart rate levels are doing during exercise. It is very important to me that I exercise within my intended heart rate zone and avoid pushing too hard. The second reason is that I have also recently decided to take my running from the treadmill and into the beautiful outdoors which means that I need to find a way to track my kilometers.
In the past I have tried and tested two different heart rate monitors (borrowed from family members) in order to make an informed decision before investing in one of my own.
These were the problems that I found:
- They were DAMYYYN expensive!
- The monitors didn’t look pretty, they were super bulky and sporty looking which is perfectly awesome if thats your vibe but I personally prefer something that is a bit more chic and stylish.
- Setting up the devices were confusing and there was lots of fiddling needed in order to get the setup right.
- I had to wear a chest strap (with both watches) in order to track my heart rate. This is not the end of the world but it just wasn’t ideal for me to put a chest strap on each and every time I went for a run and worked out.
Baring the above in mind, I have been torn between wanting a monitor but not being able to find a device that suits my needs. BUUUT! This all changed when I recently tested out the all-new Fitbit Charge 2!
Without sounding too cheesy (sorry guys – there is just no other way to say this), the Fitbit Charge 2 has honestly presented me with an option that solves all of my problems and MORE… At any point in the day I have found myself inspired to move more and do more. I’ve been able to track my daily workouts, all-day activities and beyond! This sleek little wristband isn’t just your average heart rate monitor it is also an advanced fitness tracker.
The features that I have enjoyed the most:
- EASIEST set up – Based off of my previous experience I was worried that setting up my device would be tricky. However, it couldn’t have been any easier. You simply download the Fitbit app on your phone or laptop, set up an account, sync your device and follow the instructions. It really is as simple as that!
- NO CHEST strap required – I personally really love the fact that my Fitbit can show my heart rate at ANY point within the day without me having to put a strap on around my chest.
- All day activity tracking – My initial goal in having a fitness tracker was so that I could monitor my heart rate and track kilometers for outdoor running but with my Fitbit I have been able to track so much more than this – everything from my various daily workouts to my total steps walked, distance covered, calories burned and flights climbed to name a few. I have been known to go marching around my kitchen table in the evenings so that I can reach my 10000 step goal for the day!
- Multi-sport tracking – I’m a girl who really likes to mix my exercise routine up. My favorite kinds of exercise include; HIIT weight training, indoor and outdoor running, beach walks, yoga and Pilates. Using the Fitbit app you can customize and select your preferred exercise styles so that you can track them all. How clever?!
- Cardio fitness level tracking – Remember I mentioned earlier that it is important to me to make sure that I am exercising within my intended heart rate zone? This is mainly so that I can see how my body is coping and make sure that I am not pushing too hard. You get three kinds of heart rate zones… fat-burning, cardio and peak. Simply by entering your age into your Fitbit app it works out what your respective heart rate zones are for you… How Awesome? SO! While you are training all you have to do is look at your Charge 2 and it tells you exactly where your heart is at!
- Guided breathing – We live such busy lives and I firmly believe that we could all do with more moments of calm in our schedules. I meditate each morning and during the day I love to quickly do a simple 2 or 5 minute guided meditation which is built into my Fitbit. It really helps to bring some clarity, peace and stillness back into my day. This possibly is my most favorite feature and far beyond what I thought a device like this could ever do!
- Reminders to move – If you are anything like me, I often get so carried away sitting at my desk working that I forget to get up and move. I love how every hour my device reminds me to take myself for a walk and do 250 steps! I can feel each an every time how much better I feel when I sit back down at my desk after a little bit of gentle movement. Its like a breath of fresh air for your mind, body and soul! We could all do with LESS sitting and more moving for sure.
- Customize your look – You are able to customize your device and find a look that suits your style thanks to customizable clock faces and interchangeable accessory bands. You can have fun with your device and easily change the color of your band. My band color of preference is black – I just feel that it goes with more and works for any occasion – gym, work, day-to-day activities and even some special occasions.
- LONG battery life – I have been thoroughly impressed with how long the battery lasts. Mine generally lasts between 5 -6 days!
Features that didn’t appeal to me personally:
NOTE: These two features are really awesome and will be great for others – but this is simply based on my preference and lifestyle which makes these particular features not 100% suited for me. I like to be as honest with you all as possible in my reviews.
- Sleep tracking – Sleep is SO important for your health and I LOVE good sleep more than anything. For those of you who battle to make sleep a priority you can get reminders from your Fitbit to make sure that you go to bed on time and even set a silent alarm to help you wake up in the morning. You can also track your sleep throughout the night and see what kind of quality sleep you are getting. These are incredible features but because of what I do for a living, I am on my phone and laptop so much during the day that in the evenings I have made a personal commitment to go technology free to help me wind down. Each night I take my Fitbit off and put it on again when I head to gym in the morning.
- Notifications – The Charge 2 can receive phone calls, text messages and calendar alerts, when its near your phone that is. Notifications simply vibrate when your phone receives them. Although this is also another great feature – because of my lifestyle I am constantly receiving calls, text messages, Whatsapp messages, emails and messages on social media so I choose to set a personal boundary and let my existing notifications be enough without having an extra reminder.
All Images By: Photography by Tauhirah Raffie
These are just some of the MANY features that the Fitbit Charge 2 has but I have just chosen to highlight some of my simple favorites for all of you! It really amazes me how much this device can do with such ease and little effort required from the user.
Are you thinking of getting a Fitbit Charge 2 or do you have one already? I would love to know what you think of this blog and if you found it useful in the comments below!