Bolognese with a Healthy Twist Recipe
Do you LOVE eating pasta but feel bloated and uncomfortable afterwards? If so, I can TOTALLY relate!
LUCKILY we can now have our pasta and eat it too thanks to all the amazing gluten free and carb clever options available to us these days – see some of my favorites below. This heart-warming recipe allows you to enjoy a classic bolognese alongside some added veggie and nutrient goodness – the best of both worlds in my opinion!
Bolognese with A Healthy Twist
1-2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
1kg Lean Beef Mince OR chicken mince (Try your best to source good quality, grass-fed meat with no added hormones or antibiotics)
1 Medium Carrot, grated
2 Clove garlic, minced
½ Chilli, chopped (optional)
2x Organic Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
A Handful of fresh Basil
- In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil and add the onions. Cook until translucent (about 5-6mins).
- Add the lean beef mince, grated carrot, chilli and garlic to the pan and cook until mince is cooked, stir occasionally.
- Add the tin tomatoes and seasoning.
- Cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Add the fresh basil, stir.
- Cook your noodles as per instructions.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Top the noodles with the bolognese sauce.
Pasta Alternative Options:
- Zoodles -AKA Zucchini Noodles
- Butternut Spaghetti
- Brown Rice Noodles
- Buckwheat Noodles
- Homemade Broccoli (or any other veggie that you prefer) Mash
- Spinach & Cauliflower Noodles
Some Extra Notes:
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste can be added to thicken this bolognese sauce (this is totally optional).
- 1 tsp of any unrefined sugar/sweetener may need to be added to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes. This may not be the case all the time. Use your discretion
- If you would like to make this a vegan dish, you can substitute the mince for lentils. All you need to do have is make the sauce (excluding the mince) and then add the lentils at the end. DO NOT add the lentils before the sauce is cooked because they will go mushy and who wants mushy lentils?!
I would love to know what you think of this recipe, and if you tried it out, in the comments below! #HealthyGirl #HealthyGirlGang #HealthyGirlRecipe