Healthy Girl Quinoa Sushi Rolls
Healthy Girl Quinoa Sushi Rolls – a quick and super easy dish to make and DARE I say that it tastes just as good (if not better) than traditional sushi!?
FYI, Gorgeous! I made these sushi rolls for a girls night a few months back and all my friends could not believe how delicious they were! These are perfect as a snack or for main meals and catering for guests – healthy, nutritious and packed with flavour. I hope that you will enjoy this recipe just as much I enjoyed creating & perfecting it!
Healthy Girl Quinoa Sushi Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa
- Nori sheets (3-4)
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Veggie Options: Choose 2-3 of the following – Carrots, Beetroot, Broccoli, Snap Peas, Cabbage, Cucumber or Spinach. Must be thinly sliced. Play around and see which combination you enjoy!
- Protein Options: Choose 1 of the following – Chicken, tuna or salmon. Must be shredded or thinly sliced. *You can omit the protein if you are vegetarian or vegan.
- 1-2 Tbsp tahini *optional but recommended
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar *optional but recommended
Special Healthy Girl Asian Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 Tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup/honey OR sweetener of your choice
Serve together with:
- Pickled ginger
- Tamari/soy sauce
- Sesame Seeds, toasted
- Spring Onion, chopped
- Rinse the quinoa well and then cook as per the packaging instructions.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and all the water has been absorbed remove from the heat and fluff up with a fork until nice and sticky. Lastly, mix in the tahini and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dipping sauce ingredients and set aside. (HG TIP: I like to place all my thinly sliced veggies, avocado and shredded protein of choice all neatly on a plate/chopping board so that it is easy to reach and arrange on the nori sheets.)
- Place a nori sheet onto a large plate/chopping board. Make sure that it is shiny-side down.
- Dip your finger dips into some water (HG TIP: I like to fill a glass with some water and keep it on my kitchen counter where I am working), proceed to moisten (wet) about 1cm of the top edge/furtherest edge away from you of the nori sheet – creating a gap.
- Directly underneath this 1cm gap – using a fork, gently spread some quinoa evenly over the nori sheet. (HG Tip: I like to use a fork to carefully maneuver and press the quinoa flat down to form a solid thin layer over the nori sheet)
- On top of where your quinoa starts – arrange the vegetables in a row across the nori sheet, followed by the avocado and protein. Be careful not to overdo the filling to avoid the rolls from breaking.
- Gently holding the outer top edges of the nori sheet, lift the edges along and over the filling and roll towards you – holding the filling as your roll. Continue this until you have a neat roll. Give the roll a little squeeze with your hands to tighten it.
- Lastly, dip your fingers into the water again and moisten the edge of the nori to help seal the roll.
- Place the roll onto a chopping board – use a sharp knife to cut/slice into individual sushi pieces. (HG TIP: Wet your knife under some warm water before you cut/slice – this stops the knife from sticking to the nori and causing your roll to break)
- Serve your Healthy Girl Quinoa Sushi Rolls with the dipping sauce accompanied by some pickled ginger, wasabi, tamari sauce, toasted sesame seeds and some spring onion.
- P.S. Remember… Practice makes perfect! Especially for first time sushi makers – DO NOT be disheartened if your rolls do not come out perfectly at first. Keep practicing until you get it right – just like I did! This video (click here)by Dan Churchill really helped me get over my fear of making sushi at home and showed me just how simple and easy it really is!
I would love to know what you think of this recipe and if you tried it out in the comments below! #HealthyGirl #HealthyGirlGang #HealthyGirlRecipe